Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Are Kitchens for Cooking?


Are Kitchens for Cooking?

 

I now call Santa Fe home.  One of the many benefits of being raised with a parent in the military is the transient concept of home.  I now call Santa Fe home- at least for the last two weeks.  The change of location and new job has been inspiring me to reengage in my life routine.  My love of great ingredients can be fed here.  While I do miss my garden and fresh herbs, I do have access to some great ingredients.  Just this weekend on my journey to the farmers market, I was able to buy some organic produce such as Asian greens, tomatoes and fingerling potatoes all ready to grace my table.  This brings me to my number two priority with this search for a place to call home.

 

My number one priority was a pet friendly home.  The number two priority was finding a place with a kitchen that would welcome some actual cooking.  Until I build my dream house, I will fantasize about the kitchen I left behind in my home in Las Cruces as it was perfectly suited to my style of cooking and entertaining.  The home I rented in Silver City was at best an exercise in frustration when it came to cooking.  So my new place, while an adjustment in space, had a great feel to it due to the feature of a kitchen island that lent some reasonable counter space that allowed viewing of the living space during food preparation. 

 

This brings me back to cooking.  Now we can’t always have access to an ideal space for cooking and most of us are called upon at one time or another to just make the space work.  With this in mind, finding inspiration or motivation is key.  Motivation for eating healthfully is just as important (sometimes more important) than extensive knowledge.  Starting with great ingredients from your local food system can lead to some amazing food discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment